Friday 6 July 2012

The Tuck Shop Cafe, 6003

I dropped in on The Tuck Shop Cafe about a year ago when it first opened. I left grumpy with mundane muesli in my belly and a bitter (coffee) taste in my mouth. Returning again this week - standards have lifted supremely. Coffee was delicious, and a bit stronger - Thank You! 


The brunch menu is exciting and made from quality, fresh produce. I saw a few tables order a tempting plate of the Chorizo, pork belly, spiced potatoes and egg. I opted for the Smoked salmon, fennel, ricotta, asparagus on ciabatta. I loved this dish - my kind of breakfast. I was pleased to see the fresh toppings dwarfed the bread. The asparagus were bright and the ricotta generous. The ciabatta was deliciously crunchy too. Dusted off with a tiny salsa of cucumber, tomato and olive oil. A melodious band of flavours!

smoked salmon, asparagus, ricotta, fennel, ciabatta
Brunch perfection

My companion ordered the mixed vegetable, bean and ham hock soup. Small was $5.50, plus house made parmesan toast ($2.50). Ummm, good value, no?? The soup itself was full of flavour. No regrets here. 

Veg, bean and ham hock soup $5.50

Parmesan toast $2.50

Based purely on food and service - this is my new fave spot for brunch. I'm only apprehensive that its a tiny cafe and as the word has spread - it gets very busy and noisy, even on week days. The Tuck Shop also make a range of gourmet pies, which seem to be popular for a take-away lunch with nearby office workers. I didn't try them but they looked bloody good.

Food: 5/5 (fresh ingredients, cooked well and interesting options)
Ambience: 2.5/5 (bit noisy and cramped)
Value: 4/5 ($5.50 for gourmet soup)
Service: 4/5 (Waited about 10 mins for food)

The Tuck Shop Cafe on Urbanspoon






No comments:

Post a Comment