Friday 26 October 2012

Mr. Munchies Sushi - 6050

Bespoke, made fresh sushi? Hell yes! I am LOVING this idea. And its an Australian first. I met Mr Munchie when I was travelling through the arcade that divides Grill'd and Gelare in Mt Lawley. At the end of the passageway I discovered a funky little sushi bar, looking spanking new and begging for me to break it in.




The way it works is that you choose your base - chicken, beef, pork, salmon, tuna, other seafood, or vegetarian (about 16 options!). Then add your stuffing, like cucumber, carrot, raddish, tofu, bacon...Next select fancy toppings such as black sesame, garlic chips or Tobikko and finally pick from one of their Japanese sauces. Your sushi is then made fresh, right before your eyes. In the back kitchen you can see a chef grilling cuts of juicy meats, which are brought out steaming and laid down on the neat rows of sushi and nori, ready to be rolled.





If you find yourself overwhelmed by the freedom of options (I spent at least 20 minutes deciding), then they have some ingenious sushi combos to suggest. I went for the ‘Seafood Roll’, Small size ($10.50). Thick chunks of fresh salmon, cucumber and steamed prawn were wrapped artfully in reverse rice and seaweed, then topped with little chunks of tuna sashimi, chilli flake coils and wasabi mayo and chilli mayo. Just awesome. The effort given to presentation goes beyond expectations of a casual sushi bar and the portion size was very reasonable for a small. Filled me up good.

Small Seafood Roll

This place is going to be a hit. And with options this good and sushi this delicious, I can tell you already I am going to become a regular attachment.

Hits - fresh, fast, customised sushi! The choice!
Misses - No brown rice (pffffft...clutching at straws here.)

Mr. Munchies Sushi on Urbanspoon

1 comment: