Thursday 29 March 2012

Matilda Bay Restaurant & Bar,

For special occasions or locals toting out-of-towners; Matilda Bay is a popular choice. An assemblage of pretty, white sailboats, bobbing in this quiet alcove of the Swan River; the location is equal parts tranquil, dainty and Western Australian. But does the kitchen match up to the views? 

Oysters, Ruby Grapefruit, Chilli Salsa $4ea


The menu spoils diners with choice. Along with a list of mains, there are various meats off the grill and fitting to the locaiton; stunning seafood options too. Vegetarian options exist but they're not extensive. Mains range from $38 for a shallot tart (an art piece) to; $78 (oh!) for a seafood platter for just one. 

Deeee-vinnee freshly baked bread and Olive Tepenade $6.50

Barramundi, Spiced Pumpkin Mash, Asparagus

Duck main of some sort, sorry can't recall!

I ordered the Hot Smoked Salmon fillet, Courgette, Caper and Confit Garlic, Lemon Aioli. When the dish was presented to me; it was even more enticing than the image i'd made in my mind. This was for sure, the finest seafood meal I had tasted in a some time! 

Hot smoked salmon, courgette, capers, lemon aioli 

Seafood Risotto

Mixed lettuce, green olive and cucnumber side salad $12

I was far too absorbed in my own meal to get any details on my fellow diners, but everyone was equally impressed. I think I can let the photos do the talking here. 
I should note that the menu changes very regularly and I'd guess that the kitchen has made some alterations and introductions since my visit. Regardless, I'm confident you'll find something as outstanding as we did.

Mixed tomato side salad $12

Shallot Tart $38
A decor that says "simple, modern, elegance" worked well. It allows for the waterfront views to take center stage.  Our waitress was well quipped, passionate even, on the menus offerings. She was professional but approachable and even a bit Aussie. It fit well with the setting actually. 

Amelia Park Lamb Scotch $38 (slow roasted for 18 hours)
I expected to put this in the "overhyped, overpriced" pile but Matilda Bay exceeded my expectations. It’s one of the few high-end restaurants that match stunning views with stunning food. And so to answer that first question; it's a big, whopping YES. 

Food: 5/5
Ambience: 4/5
Service: 4/5

Matilda Bay Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment