Tuesday 24 April 2012

Tong 86, 6000

Cutting to the chase - this place is pretty cool. I have never experienced the world of Korean BBQ before and if you’d ask me what I though of it after my time at Tong 86, I’d say I’m a bit of a fan! I like the cook-it-yourself ritual, but it was really the atmosphere that had me sold on this place. 


The first thing I said when I walked in Tong 86 is “I don’t feel like I’m in Perth”. It’s a warehouse style restaurant, with pen-scribbled walls; dim, amber lighting and the place is buzzing with a full house of Korean peeps! It seems as if you’ve stepped into the underground. There’s also Korean pop music videos projected onto one of the walls. 


For those not clued up on the Korean BBQ; it’s all about the meat. A pretty clear-cut menu that lists various carves and chops of meats. You make your order and the meat is brought to your table raw, along with typical sides, for you to engage in some DIY cooking! 





We ordered a serve of Scotch Filet, Brisket, Spicy noodles, Mushroom and Kimchi (cabbage) pancake.  Kimchi is like pickled vegetables; a famously Korean side dish.  The Kimchi cabbage pancake was my favourite; I recommend you order this one!


I didn't care much for the scotch filet and found it a bit chewy (this may be on account of our rookie BBQ-ing skills) but I did like the thin shavings of brisket.

Scotch Filet, Brisket, Mushroom and sides




If you’re looking for a fun but inexpensive night, with an alternative mood, and you don't like to be rushed through your dinner; then beeline to Tong 86 with your favourite non-vegetarian buddies! 

Spicy Noodle
 
Kimchi Pancake



Food: 3.5/5
Ambience: 5/5
Service: 4/5

Tong 86 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment