Saturday 8 December 2012

Pigeon takes flight - San Francisco, CA Pt. 1

Since late November I have been eating my way through the U-S of A. If you've been following my Facebook page, you would already know I'm going to be travelling around for three months and you will have already had a (vicarious) taste of what i've been noshing on. 

First stop was San Francisco, which is arguably one of the foodie capitals of the world. SF are spoilt for quality eateries, especially in the way of Mexican. Californians are passionate about organic and whole food produce too. It's hard to walk into a cafe or restaurant without finding the word 'organic', 'natural' or 'local'.  So without further ado, here's the best of my eats and treats in my favourite American city so far...

Gracias Madre - Mission, SF

The lowdown: a hip bar/restaurant with festive drinks and fresh tasting Cal-Mex that focuses on organic seasonal vegetarian produce.

Butternut pumpkin, black beans, kale, rice


Gracias Madre on Urbanspoon

Yoppi Yogurt - multiple locations

The lowdown: Voluptuous, creamy self-serve frozen yogurt sold by weight, that boasts zero fat and luxurious flavour. The cake batter flavour was the business. Classic chocolate was dreamy too.

Lots of naughty toppings!

Cake batter, chocolate, vanilla and peanut butter fro yo with Reese's bits and mini m&m's

Sotto Mare -  North Beach, SF

The low-down: Tucked away just of the main drag in Little Italy is this old school Italian Seafood eatery. The walls are clustered with nautical bits and bobs and nostalgic photos of the family who run the place. The seafood is SO fresh and SO generous. Dining alone, sadly I could not take on one of their famous Crab Cioppinos so I went for the grilled Sand Dabs, $19. At least eleven pieces of perfectly grilled fish fillets were plated in front of me. I managed to stop myself at eat five, and still felt stuffed.



Grilled Sand Dabs, $19

I surrender!

Sotto Mare on Urbanspoon

Until next time....TSP






No comments:

Post a Comment